Friday, June 22, 2012

In Michigan

In our 2nd day, we learned about the life of African American; their history, their position in economy and politics.
--Anggita Paramesti, Gadjah Mada University
 
Jakarta Post today. Finally, an English publication. Hurray! :)
--Zafira Rahmania Nur Shabrina, Gadjah Mada University
 
FINALLY AMERICA! YEAY! :D :) XD

Probably most people that read the title above would think that “Okay, girl, calm down. This is America you’ve landed at, not that you landed in a new planet”. Well, I AM EXCITED and this is a BIG DEAL for me. From when I was in high school, I always dreamed to be able to see another side of the world, to get to know how different it is, to study abroad, and just to be in some places faraway from Aceh, my hometown. At that time, London was my favorite city (and still is) but it is hard for me to do the travelling because the opportunities simply were not there. I came from ordinary family that even did not have enough money to cover the tuition fees for me going to college.

Yet, at that time I insisted to go to Java although my parents did not agree about it. Their disagreement was not because they did not want to see me having a good education but we just did not have money. I tried so hard to convince them that I can get scholarship and be responsible for my life. And I finally did, I got ‘all covered-scholarship’ from the Aceh’s government (thanks Mom). I was so happy at that time that I got a chance to study in UI. I was the first person in my family (out of 5 siblings) that got a chance to study outside Aceh and my eagerness to study abroad even greater. I saw many of my friends going here and there and was very crazy to do that too. But it is not as easy as it seems. I thought that trying to apply this and that and go around the worlds like my friends do will be easy for me. But it is not, it is not easy for me. It, however, taking cost.

I once asked for my father about any chance he can get any ticket for me and he said “We just don’t have money even for your one way ticket to come home. Even for your brother’s fee for his doctor’s competency examination.” And that slapped me. I was being very bad. At that time I kind of gave up but I believe that God never answer “No”. He just wanted me to wait a little longer. Now maybe you can understand how this opportunity is a very big big big deal for me. Not that I am exaggerating but maybe you’ll understand if I tell you that the return-airplane fare to get me to this side of the world is equal to a year of my living cost and college tuition fees.

Landing in Michigan, Exhausted but Excited

After about twenty five hours flight finally we landed in Detroit, MI. Kharis, the Michigan’s committee, took us to the van and drove us to the Courtyard, a student apartment in University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. My first impression of America is that it is very organized. It has no traffic jam like in Jakarta and there are scarcely people in the street (especially in Ann Arbor). I was very jet lagged when we arrived at the Courtyard and instantly fell asleep until the next morning (after almost 30 hours in plane). At 7 in the morning Ola and I decided to explore around the campus by ourselves. We shopped, took pictures, and met people. There was this guy who was very kind to show us how to get back to the courtyard and how to get the right bus as well as explaining the routes. He is a medical engineering student and he talked a lot. Unfortunately I forgot to ask his name. I wished I did.


Me and the nice guy we met in Michigan campus

The Fairies, the Muslim Student’s Association, and the Harvest’s Girls

Ola and I got back to the Courtyard at 10 A.M. and prepared for the meeting with Muslim Student’s Association and Harvest Mission Christian Group. Then, Kate took us on a campus tour and had lunch at Cafe. I was so confused about the menu but the American girls helped me out to order. I guess that was the same thing that happened to them in Indonesia when all the menus were in Indonesian. Well, that’s fair then. I hardly finished my meal because the portion is soooo American. It just not fitted my Indonesian’s tummy but I liked it though. Thanks, Kate J

In the noon, Kate got this challenge for us to do this Fairy door hunts. So we were paired up to one Indonesian and one American. Shannon got paired with Gita, Cindhi with Angela, and because of Ellie’s absence, Theresa, Ola and I were in a group. Our task is to find this Fairy door in the Ann Arbor’s downtown, take pictures, and find something else that interest us. I had a great time of hunting and exploring downtown of Ann Arbor. And for the fairy door, I am thinking of making one when I get back in Indonesia, lol.

--Cut Nury Hikmah Sabry, University of Indonesia
Days 19-21
The Michigan phase of the Indonesian Partnership program was AWESOME! It was a great start to the American phase of the program. We met up with Kate once again and met, Kharis, another coordinator and driver for our activities and events. I think the best part about coming back to Michigan was that Kate knew what we would have wanted to eat after eating Indonesian food and after getting off long plane rides and so on. She made the most delicious quiche and pecan pie . Kate also had yogurt, bagels, and oatmeal for us. She just knew!
 
The campus tour for University of Michigan was really nice. It was really cool to see how big the campus is and the different buildings that make up the campus. But the best part about the tours was touring Ann Arbor. I think the activity for searching for the fairy doors is the best fun way to explore Ann Arbor. Although Ann Arbor is new to me as well, it was really cool to see the reactions of my Indonesian partners, Ola and Uwi. After our adventures in Ann Arbor, we met up with the Muslim Students’ Association at University of Michigan where we were able to speak to the students about what it means to be a part of such an organization and an American Muslim. I believe it was the first time we all got to see Islam being practiced by Americans. I think one of the biggest questions was how the Muslim community was treated after September 11th, and it seems as though it was the first time we were able to receive answers from American Muslims themselves. The president of the association told us a beautiful story of how after September 11th, people threw rocks and broke windows at her mosque. However, many of the townspeople from various religious backgrounds, created a human chain around the mosque to show that such actions will not be tolerated. I thought this was such a powerful and touching story. This story is great because it is one of the ways to show that in times of tragedy, there are good sides and bad sides.
 
The next day, we had a presentation from Professor Vince Hutchings about Race and Politics in America in the 21st century. His presentation is one of my favorite presentations from this trip thus far because it brought to light the intricacies of America’s political and governmental problems. He highlighted the racial inequalities in the country and how history, policies, politics, social, and economic issues are interwoven in America’s illnesses. I think I also liked this presentation because it shows my Indonesian partners that although I think America is awesome and I am proud to be a Filipina American, America is by no means perfect and that we are still facing many issues today. Professor Hutching’s presentation was a great start to understanding the history of America. We went to the Museum of African American History and it was awesome. It was an interactive and very powerful experience. This was an important part of this program in order for all of the participants, especially the Indonesian partners to understand the intricacies of America’s issues and how history plays a role in these issues.
 
After this, we visited the Capuchin Soup Kitchen and the Earthworks Urban Farm. This part was AWESOME and definitely one of my favorites! This urban farming program really impressed me because the program not only realized that charity cannot simply go on handing aid out to people, but that it is necessary to invest in the community by means of education in order for the people of the community to gain skills and knowledge that they can utilize in their own ways. The beauty of this program is that they aim to give opportunities to people to get out of their current situation by allowing them to learn skills that they can use beyond this program.
 
After a discussion with Dawud Walid from the Council on American Islamic Relations about the Arab community in Michigan, racism, rights, and the “American disease of islamophobia,” we toured the Arab American National Museum. I appreciated these two events because both showed the reality of the situation, for both showed the negative and positive aspects of being a Muslim American and an Arab American. My favorite part of this day’s events was the visit at the Islamic Center of America. The representative spoke with us about being a SUSHI, and the importance of integrating the many Muslim beliefs in order to attain peace amongst the brotherhood and sisterhood. I felt that for the first time, this representative spoke about the uniqueness of being an American Muslim. He explained that although September 11th is definitely a tragedy, it has also brought together many different religious groups who want to learn more about each other and to gain peace and tolerance in this way.
 
As a great wrap up, Kate put aside a short amount of time for everyone to discuss their feelings, questions that might have been coming up and so on. I think Kate was the best person to mediate this dialogue. I think this was the first time that we all have been able to openly talk about our feelings as a group. This program is by no means an easy program. This partnership is an INTENSE IMMERSION into cultures. We are continuing to learn more about each other and ourselves. I am excited to see how this incredible program affects all of us.
--Theresa Mejia, Lehigh University

No comments:

Post a Comment